Background and Purpose
- Support for automobile-related government policies and technologies
- Reduction of social loss from traffic accidents
- Protection of civil rights by protecting consumers
- Provision of technical information to automobile-related industries in Korea
Production defect investigation
Collecting and analyzing vehicle defect information through self-verification conformity tests and safety defect tests of a vehicle and its parts while mediating related refund and replacement to protect the life and property of citizens by ensuring the safety of a vehicle that is locally manufactured or assembled or imported
Production defect investigation
- Aims to identify any safety-related defect that may affect the safe operation of a vehicle, such as functional defect or malfunction or unintended operation
Mediating refund and replacement
- Enabling refund and replacement by mediating between the manufacturer and the consumer if the defect persists in a new vehicle and prevents full repair
Self-verification conformity test
- Checking compliance with the safety criteria by purchasing random vehicle and/or parts offered based on the self-verification of the manufacturer
※ Self-verification system: The manufacturer verifies that the vehicle it produced complies with related laws and regulations
Vehicle Safety Review
Reviewing the safety of a vehicle and publishing the results through tests including a collision test so that consumers can have a wider range of choices and manufacturers will build safer vehicles and parts
Need for Vehicle Safety Review
- Reviewing the safety of a vehicle through tests including a collision test to provide safety information to consumers and enable manufacturers to build safer vehicles and parts.
※ The detailed results of safety reviews can be found on the website of Vehicle Safety Review.
International Harmonization of Vehicle Safety Criteria
Aims to eliminate the technical trade barrier among countries trading automobiles while enhancing national competitiveness by reducing the development cost for manufacturers
Need for International Harmonization
- International harmonization of safety criteria is needed in order to eliminate the trade barrier among countries -- as the different safety criteria of each country result in increased development cost of vehicles -- and to enhance vehicle safety in each country.
- Protecting consumers, enhancing national competitiveness, and solidifying Korea’s position as a major vehicle manufacturing country while eliminating international trade conflict by improving vehicle safety
Future Vehicle Safety Research and Development
Autonomous Vehicle Safety Research and Development
- Development of safety criteria for defect while driving, communication security, and control switch as the 3 major aspects of autonomous vehicles in order to enhance their overall safety
Eco-Friendly Vehicle Safety Research and Development
- Research such as hybrid conversion of diesel trucks for door-to-door delivery and their commercialization as well as a common platform of ultra-small electric vehicles and its verification technologies
Vehicle Test Support and Technical Support
TS operates optimal test conditions for commercializing autonomous vehicles based on technical development support and testbeds for safety verification while enhancing safety through tests such as collision/impact test of vehicles and parts.
|Vehicles||Vehicle parts||Driving test||Others|
Vehicle part management and other projects
TS conducts research on the safety enhancement and production defects of vehicle parts while launching diverse traffic safety-oriented projects commissioned by the government.
|Vehicle parts management||Government-commissioned project|